Monday, April 8, 2013

Where to start?

It's the beginning(ish) of a new month, and you have no idea what kind of program to do.

Lucky for you it's April.

When I'm stuck, I look for a calendar. If I'm lucky, I'll find one as detailed as this. So many different days! Plus you now (if you live somewhere wonderful) have the ability to go outside and be warm, and daylight savings means you can program longer. 

Is it time for midterms? The good thing about most of the events on this calendar can be quick and easy (but still fun) social programs. For example, Hans Christian Anderson's birthday is April 2nd. He wrote The Little Mermaid (although his version is traumatizing to say the least) which inspired a lovely wonderful happy Disney mermaid movie and lead to a whole generation of girls combing their hair with dinglehoppers. 

And many concerned parents.


Easy peasy social program. If you want to kick it up a notch, this is a perfectly good excuse for cake. And, as everyone knows, food is excellent program bait. And you deserve some cake, you beautiful programming genius.

"But Eryn," I can imagine you saying, "That's way too easy and I can't believe it's worth a blog post. I want my students to learn something!" But wait! There's more. Also please go watch The Little Mermaid and remember how awesome it is. 

Let's jump to April 10th, Encourage a Young Writer Day. Full disclosure:  I'm biased towards thinking this one is awesome because I minored in creative writing. Does your campus have a Creative Writing department? Get in touch with them and see if they would be willing to run through a few writing  exercises. If they have some of their own, even better! If the professor has any work published, you could also ask them to do a reading and plug their department to undecided students. Campus involvement FTW!

"But Eryn," you might say again, "With all their school work, my students don't want to do more writing even though it has been scientifically* proven to make them amazing and beautiful!"

*Scientist. Also, hey look,  your adverts are done!


I totally get that feeling. Sometimes I would spend all day in writing classes and workshops and my brain would be pudding, which probably has nothing to do with my childhood clumsiness and frequent dinglehopper usage. 

April 5th, National Read A Road Map Day, is an educational program that your students can apply to their own lives (bonus if they haven't taken spring break yet!). Sure, some of them will have a GPS or their smartphone, but at some point, their phone will die or their GPS will fail. Personally, I have had both of these things happen to me in addition to not knowing where I was going in the first place. And you get to go outside!  

This activity will go down in two parts. First, a quick guide to what everything on the map's key means. Print out maps of your state, county or city (this could take some doing, but you can make one easily by going to Google Maps, zooming in until all the street names are visible, and taping the printed pages together. 

"I know, honey, I know. I'm good. I am good. You look gorgeous!"
Divide your residents up into teams of two or three and give them each a map and some markers. Using your hall or a spot on campus as a starting point, have them find a few places around town (either walking or driving) and have them trace the route. You can make this a competition too!

The second part of this activity involves your residents going out into the world with nothing but a map, a list of directions, and if you want to be fancy or can borrow them from your school's outdoor rec department, compasses! 

You'll want a map with a scale for this activity, probably done in feet as they'll be doing some walking. If you have compasses, you can use NSEW directions, otherwise you can use rights and lefts or street names. Have them start at your residence hall and pick somewhere fun as an endpoint to meet them. Maybe use some floor funds to treat them to ice cream? 

It'll go great with your cake from earlier.
Boom! Three programs and you haven't even broken a sweat!


No comments:

Post a Comment