Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hello world!


I was a Resident Adviser for three years and that experience defined my college experience. Who even knows "student affairs" is a thing that exists until you're a part of it? Definitely not me!

 During those three years, developed a passion for helping students learn and grow through creative programming. I loved to surprise residents by taking a subject or activity that interests them, like Harry Potter or scavenger hunts, and turning it into a teaching moment. This was the most exciting part of my job because I got to see my residents develop an interest in a subject that they would have dismissed as boring before.  In the end, what I was tasked with was teaching my residents what it meant to be an independent adult, and while it was demanding, I was rewarded in the end when thirty-two adults leave my floor prepared for the rest of their college career. 

It was so fulfilling to see students begin to take an interest in the campus community and then the world outside of that over the course of a year, and being able to facilitate that change with programs or talks. Creativity is a strength for me, and my goal with each program was to meet the needs and interests of my students in a way that will resonate with them. After three years, I still find myself thinking about new programs (seriously, a lot) and feel like I have more to give and therefore, I blog.

I'm still getting the hang of this "blogging" business, but I will try to post pictures, temples, sample advertisements and resources to help you on your way. I have examples of my own work and can make mock-ups of things I have come up with since graduating from Residence Life (and college, of which I am equally proud) because I was serious about thinking about them a lot.  

Contrary to what the length of this post will have you believe, I'm actually awful at talking about myself. What I am good at finding creative and fun ways to get your students engaged! So hello, I'm Eryn and I'll be programming with you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment